Powerful protection for your home
Today’s appliances and electronics are more sophisticated than ever — they are also in more need of protection from power surges that can cause permanent damage.
As residents of one of the top lightning-producing states in the country, we’re all familiar with the threat of major storms and the surges and outages they produce. Let our surge protection plan protect your home.
- Florida is considered the lightning capital of the U.S., with 70-100 thunderstorms producing about 3,500 lighting strikes per day.
- Summer is peak season for lightning strikes, but spring and fall thunder showers also produce lightning risks for the Sunshine State.
- Florida often ranks No. 1 in the country for homeowner’s insurance losses related to lighting strikes. In 2016, there were 10,385 claims totaling $67.8 million in losses.
- If the home’s electrical wiring is the primary or secondary path, the explosive surge can potentially cause significant damage to anything connected to it, particularly electronics.
- A lightning current will produce significant damage to a house that is not equipped with a good protection system, damaging appliances and risking the loss of expensive electronics and irreplaceable data, such as photos stored on your computer.
Sources: Lightning Protection Institute, Insurance Information Institute and NOAA
Why do I need surge protection?
Power strips aren’t enough to protect your home’s technology. With Basic Plus Surge Protection, a state-of-the-art surge protector is installed directly at your electric meter and serves as your home’s first line of defense against lightning-related or other damaging surges.
Why get surge protection from Gulf Power?
We offer high quality, properly applied surge protection devices that afford the ultimate in total equipment protection. Most point-of-use devices sold in stores provide limited protection to only those devices plugged into them. We will provide the highest quality surge protection. We will install it correctly. You will be protected. If surges do breach the system, the protected equipment will be repaired or replaced because it is backed by an industry-leading manufacturer's warranty.
Do I still need point of surge protection?
Our Basic Plus plan eliminates surges through the electric line. However, surges may enter the home through other means, via a remote building (garage or workshop) electrically attached to the house, swimming pool pump, outdoor lights, etc. Because of this, the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) recommends the additional use of power strips to enhance protection for sensitive electronic equipment.
What are the eligibility requirements for Gulf Power Surge Protection?
Basic Plus Surge Protection Program Eligibility
- If you own a single-family home, townhouse or condominium that’s individually metered with 200 amp or less service and are a current Gulf Power’s customer
- Customers within Gulf Power Service territory
- Single phase 200 or less amp residential services
Certain billing restrictions may apply. Customer must be current on payments for new enrollments.
Do I have to be home for the installation?
No, unless your electric meter is inaccessible from outside. Your power will be disconnected for a brief period of time during installation. Electronic clocks will have to be reset after the installation is complete. No appointment is necessary.
Is installation free?
Yes. Installation is free and there is no service call charge or deductible.
Still have questions? Contact us.
- Surge Program Questions: (833) 919-0941 (toll-free)
- Service Calls: (877) 655-4001 (toll-free)
For existing Premium Surge customers, find discontinued program Terms & Conditions here.