Electric Vehicles Are Here
Gulf Power is excited about the unique opportunity this emerging market offers our customers. Gulf Power advocates electric transportation technologies, both on-road and non-road, and we are ready to meet our customers’ evolving electric transportation needs.
Good reasons to Drive Electric
- Vehicle prices are lower than ever and range has improved dramatically in the latest models.
- Gulf Power offers electricity rates with low, off-peak prices to help EV owners save even more.
- EVs have lower maintenance costs.
- There are generous incentives for buying an EV, like a federal tax credit.
- You’ll save a lot on fuel. Driving electric is about the equivalent of $1.50 per gallon gasoline.
- Gulf Power offers rebates on chargers for homes and businesses.
- Gulf Power is committed to expanding the number of charging locations in Northwest Florida including fast chargers.
- Zero emissions means you’re helping protect our environment.
- Contributes to our nation’s energy independence. An EV’s energy can be 100 percent made in the U.S.
Gulf Power’s Electric Transportation Involvement
Gulf Power has been involved in electric transportation research since the early ’90s. We’re working with electric vehicle manufacturers and the Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) to bring economically and technologically viable on-road electric transportation technologies to the marketplace, enhance the speed of adoption, and understand the impacts of electric vehicle charging on our nation’s electricity grid.
We’re also using plug-in electric vehicles, both plug-in hybrid and battery electric, and charging technologies for use in our own operations including the Chevrolet Volt, Nissan Leaf, and BMW i3.
On-road and non-road electric vehicles and equipment are quiet, efficient and clean and offer users the opportunity to save money on fuel and maintenance costs, reduce their environmental impact, and contribute to the energy independence of the U.S. by using a domestic source of energy. Gasoline or diesel engines wear over time leading to higher tailpipe emissions with the age of the vehicle, whereas, electric vehicles will get cleaner over time as the generation of electricity continues to get cleaner.
Gulf Power is investing billions of dollars to reduce our emissions. Even though electric vehicle owners can expect to see an increase in their electricity use, they will still save money powering their vehicles with electricity. The cost of gasoline per mile is greater than the cost of electricity per mile. It’s estimated that electric vehicle owners will realize about a 60 percent savings in fuel costs.